Sunday, January 23, 2011

Keep the wheels turning

Bill Moulds was recommended by Ron at Wheel Nuts Bike Shop when I approached him with the old rusted vintage bike dilemma.  He explained how we were fortunate to live in an area with one of the better wheel experts in the area akso resided. Considering it is after 11:30pm after a very long drill weekend I will post a few pictures and then explain myself in greater detail later in the week.  Cheers.  And check out the amazing work of a genuine guy who has a passion for building wheels.  Bill Moulds
The rear hub of a now built wheel to the vintage bicycle.  The hub was rusted and painted when I dropped it off and never had any idea that there was any type of writing on the hub itself.  What a surprise. 
This is the lineup of the 2 front wheels and 2 rear wheels I had on Jan 3, 2011 when I met Bill for the first time and sat down to discusss my dilema and have him explain the options. 
The lineup of wheels I picked up today, January 23, 2011 from Bill's Shop.  The rear hub was cleaned and reused to make the wheel to the far right.  The two existing front hubs were not not possible to make into usable wheels. 
An oild cap, on a hub?  Yeah it was common in this era.  While I have not done enough reserach to see what year this hub / bicycle are fron here is a 1936 New Departure Hub Model D specs sheet I found online. 
One of the steel clad wooden rims that was found unuseable from the old bicycle with the spokes removed and the hub was then cleaned up had a complete overhaul and now is attached to a 21st century rim and spokes.   

No comments: