Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Can you run a marathon on one leg?

So for those of you who have seen me limping around today I went to an Urgent Care establishment today. Never been to one of those, been to the ER a couple times in my day, but never to Urgent Care. In general I do not enjoy going to any kind of doctor whatsoever. Usually there is never any good news at all. The costs are insane, and I have no patience for a waiting room. Why make an appointment for 9am when you wait till 11am to be seen by someone for 5 minutes? I could go off on a tangent about all the healthcare things I disagree with, but I think you smell what I am stepping in.




When I ran last night with my friend Melody (approx 5 miles) I felt fine, yet when I rose for work this morning I got a pain in my leg unlike any other I have had before. It caused me to partially collapse, my leg felt weakened. I tried to tough it out at work but I figured I should have it checked out since I was unable to bear weight on it comfortably. Their findings from the XRays weren’t very helpful. They noticed the posterior change along the distal fibula. Stating “inderminate ossification arising from the distal fibular shaft possibly posttraumatic or related to “ … my 1994 East Coast Nationals previous surgery where I made my main however never raced BMX again. So anyways more to follow tomorrow with an orthopedic doctor in Fairfax, VA. In the mean time I was told to pop ibuprofen and do the ole R.I.C.E. routine. For those of you new to my life YES those three screws were put in my gorgeous leg in May 1994 when trying to qualify for the Main Event of a BMX race in Mullica Hill, NJ.  Surgery performed by the Dr. Joseph Zabilski, MD, of Duxbury, MA.



The staff at the Arlington Urgent care Clinic was actually quite good, they seemed genuine and cared. Besides the ghetto fabulous chicks that check you in and hustle you for your money the people who actually ran the place did a good job.



We will see what tomorrow brings, but I think I may have to get myself a bell so Danielle will know when I need her assistance.  I may now have an excuse why I am not training for Washington’s Birthday 10k, Hyannis Marathon, National Marathon, and the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler, more to come.  Joshie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That sucks Josh! Hope your appt tomorrow goes better! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!