Sunday, March 11, 2012

Its been a week, and trying to stick with it


So it’s been one week.  Seven days and I have been on this “diet” so to speak.  I guess this causes for a celebration, right.  Anyone who knows me, I have probably never tried a “diet” before for more than 24 hours, and that is not an exaggeration.  I grow sick of it; my steering wheel will pull to the side when passing a fast food place.  This week has not been one about sacrifice.  It has been more about trying new things, not having any reservations, and having a support network around me.  For the first time in a while I am saying, hey you know you have this wedding coming up shortly; maybe you should stop putting off this life changing experience, and do something for yourself.
So this is what I have learned in the past 7 days.  I have not gotten more motivated to work out yet surprisingly.  The tug I always felt to work out when younger has not arrived just yet.  I love avocados.  I never even purchased an avocado before, and Friday morning I found myself eating two of them after watching a YouTube video on how to open and eat one.  It was amazing.  Much like the Engine 2 movie said, I will learn to appreciate textures of foods, and tastes.  Sounds pretty funny when I first heard it, but I was crazing strawberries instead of ice cream by day 3.  Odd transformation.  I have weighed myself several times over the week.  It’s been quite the roller coaster.  I have not been hungry at all, I really haven’t curbed moderation at all, I am finding myself full off foods from plants, or other things.  I haven’t stopped drinking.  It was a tough week.  Between three UMass Lowell Hockey Eat playoff games, and a desire to unwind for a weekend, drinks flowed.  I just opted for a Coors Light, or Shawsheen Light or any other kind of light beer, as opposed to the stiffer, darker ones that I have learned to like later in life.   So I am drinking Almond Milk with my Coffee, I cooked Kale for the first time this week, bought salad at work a couple times, made a whole grain and rice with black bean recipe, and cooked an Israeli Morracon dish tonight with Couscous.  I have learned that I do not cook Kale well, and I drink 48 oz of vegetable juice and I feel great.  My energy levels have been 2x higher than normal I would say, I am not coming home from work in a pissy mood, I feel semi empowered and jubilant.  I tried to run outside tonight for the first time in over a week and I only lasted 2 miles.  It was rough.  The weather was 46 degrees and it was sunny out, but my legs felt heavy and I didn’t have a running energy to me.  I will have to learn to work on this. 
With all of this being said I am trying to do homework for my first time in a VERY long time tonight.  It is my first grad school class this Wednesday in almost 6 years, and I have first paper and homework assignments due.  I stayed home tonight to read and do the homework but I got distracted, and have forced myself into a corner where I must concentrate on this after work the next two days so I can start this school year off right.  I am ecitied to return to school.  I am annoyed to the high heavens that my company will not be paying for it, which I thought was my plan when I reapplied for admission into the program that I left 6 years ago, but the company had other plans for me.  So the $2110 before the book fee will be coming from my own pocket.  For this one class.  I have completed 2 classes in 2006, and will need another 10 classes to graduate from this school with the Masters degree that I set out to finish.  In the mean time I need to find a way to finically make it all work.  More to follow there. 
So time for the weigh in.  As I said, I have weighed myself Sunday night when I started this journey and now it is 7 days later.  After just having finished dinner, and watched a movie called the 5th Quarter (which was quite good and I never heard of that story before) I can just imagine what it will read. 
So a week ago I was 208.6.  Tonight I am 203.0.  The lowest I weighed myself this week was 201.2 and I was astonished.  So I guess something is working, I wonder if I can actually start working our and running now that we have some longer days with the time change this weekend.  Additionally I am supposed to be running the New Bedford half marathon this weekend.  I haven’t run a race since I blew the worst marathon out of my ass in West Virginia in June of last year.  Should be exciting, considering I struggled with 2 miles today.  Off to do some more homework, Josh. 




No comments: