Monday, July 30, 2012

I guess its gross to want to win

So this is my first year in a softball league, we have a pretty sizable league at work, 24 teams. When I heard about softball I figured, this could be fun. Yet we started off the season 0 wins and 3 losses. It hurt badly. I didn't realize how much I hated losing until that reminder coming up on the losing end on more than one occasion.  It seemed to bother my team mates as well, one of which is Danielle, aka wifey. She would get so mad when she lost. Then in the 4th week, we flipped a switch as a team. We really pulled for one another. We put it all on the line for each other. We got passionate about the positions we were playing, and we felt responsible for the highs and lows that the team had. Between several rained out games to be rescheduled we are slowly approaching the end of the season, pre playoffs. Two weeks ago today I tried to stretch a single into a double and slid into 2nd base with a double. While the thrill of an extra base hit felt so good, a win was always in the back of our minds. I turned 1st and slid into second aggressively for a double two weeks ago. After the slide I realized I was in a recreational softball game, and secondly I was wearing shorts. On the crushed stone dust, ata high rate of speed, and a complete sense of reckless abandon you can imagine what happened. Pain. Blood. Limping. A feeling of stupidity. On the eve of leaving for the National Guard for a week, it was important to get this thing clean before field conditions.  The next morning one of the nurses at work did just that. What an angel. Equipped with supplies, a magnifine glass and a couple dozen of gause pads. 
So I have been getting better, slowly shrinking in size, as the lesson learned sank in. Until tonight where I pulled off the same thing. What possessed me to do it, we will never know. See pics of 2 weeks and and then again tonight when I hit another "double"



2 comments:

Meaghan said...

I love it!! Solid work!

Unknown said...

Thanks! The softball season was a lot of fun! Great team building with some of my fellow employees too! Highly recommended!