Monday, November 1, 2010

Using the Marine Corp Marathon as my turning point

Today is November 1, 2010. I washed my hands after going to the bathroom a bit earlier today and saw two gray hairs above my left ear.  I started at them in disbelief, yet I did not yank them out. What could cause these? I am 31 years old? Was it yesterday’s Marine Corp Marathon? Was it the 4 nights in a row of open bar I enjoyed in Atlanta the week before while out of town for a conference on Facility Management? Was it the stress of a commute? I really did not know. I grew up in a house of 4 children and if one of us children did something to add stress to my parents’ lives they would always rant “you are giving me gray hair” I don’t even remember my mom’s natural hair color. And my dad has been gray and then white for as long as I can remember. I read a little as I love to now with the internet at our fingertips. I found the best description here http://www.disabled-world.com/health/dermatology/hair/gray-hair-causes.php in an easy to use way of putting things.

So yesterday was the Marine Corp Marathon. The people’s marathon as they call it, and its the greatest of them all. I encourage anyone and everyone to participate in it if you chose one marathon for your life. The crowds, the scenery, the weather, the amputee racers in hand cycles or wheel chairs, even a soldier that was totally blind from sharaplnel in war recently. You find youselvf looking around and saying, here I am passing the Lincoln Memorial with thousands of people cheering as loud as they can, pounding drums or clapping their hands, its enough to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Danielle saw me at two diffrent points on the course which was a nice surprise. Mile 10 and Mile 16. Mile 10 I was all smiles loving life. Mile 16 I told her "I am done" when my body had cirtually shut down, and I flashed her the cut throat sign (always a good idea when you have 10 miles left). Lack of training. Abusing my body. Lack of total prepration. It was the kick in the pants I needed for sure!

My buddy Rob Macdonald came down from Massachusetts. A friend and team mate back at Plymouth South High School, Rob has had a love hate relationship with running as of late but he ran his first marathon in Hyannis in Febrauary and practically took an hour off that time. He is headed in the right direction thru dieting and proper training. Congrats Rob on a great marathon.

No comments: